Interested in Being a Property Field Adjuster?

HOMEArchitecture 0161Being a field adjuster for our company can be one of the most rewarding yet demanding jobs. We hire folks to work in the “field”, handling claims that our insured’s make after their home, in most cases, following damage because of a storm (most common). However, sometimes the damage is due to a water leak or fire.

How does someone become a field adjuster? We do need the person hired to have experience. That experience is most often acquired from working insurance claims. Not only is the experience of having handled property insurance claims a must, but persons with construction knowledge is often very helpful. I also find that individuals that like to work with people, work independently, and have good math skills make good field adjusters.



  1. Frank
    Posted May 28, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

    I’m seeking to make a career change to become a property adjuster. There seems to be a need for adjusters but lacking direct insurance experience has been a barrier. I’m almost ready to invest a few thousand into a 5-week course to bridge the gap. I’d like to hear your opinion.

  2. amfammickey
    Posted May 29, 2009 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

    Hello: thanks for your great question. Yes, you are right, there is a need for that skill set, but attaining the experience is a challenge. I think your idea is right on point. There are a number of schools that are available to get the training you are talking about, specifically I believe that there is a technical school called Fox Valley in Appleton WI and another school called Vale Tech, and that school has various locations. However sad to say that the training sometimes is not enough. You really need to look to get on with a company that offers entry level positions, and most often that experience is secured while working inside claims for a period of time. That certainly is a method American Family uses. Get back to me if you have more questions.

  3. Chris
    Posted February 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

    Hello AmFam:) I’ve been a sales consultant for two construction companies for 4 years now. I’ve always wanted to be a property claims adjuster, as i meet hundreds of them for my clients in negotiating storm loss through insurance policies. I’m familiar with the programs xactimate and eagle view and I certainly know how to measure, diagram, and properly adjust for storm related damage depending on each insurance carriers specifications. My question is, would this alone be considered having experience or would I also need to take an entry level position or obtain some schooling, certifications, and licenses?

  4. amfamlisa
    Posted February 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

    Hi Chris, their are many experiences and backgrounds, like construction, that are applicable to the field of claims adjusting. The experience level might be dependant upon how much practice with the programs, knowledge of the insurance policy, and experience with the claim handling process. I will email you my direct contact information, so we can talk further. Also, certifications, classes and designations are desirable, typically, not required. ~ Lisa

  5. Brett Koppin
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

    Hello Am Family,

    I am pursuing a career as a property field adjuster. I have a business degree, 6+ years experience in the auto industry and 6+ years experience as a self employed licensed residential builder.

    I feel my experience as a residential builder would be a great skill set to have as a property field adjuster. Do you have any suggestions on further steps I should take to pursue this career. Thanks! Brett

  6. Posted December 11, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

    I would like to become a claims adjuster but I dont know if it would be better to go the independent adjust route or try to get on the a company. does anyone know?

Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: